Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Limbo

Did you know that starting a career is not as easy as it seems? Seriously though, I feel like a pretty capable, hard-working individual. But I'm coming to realize that none of these companies think it's cool that I have a Bachelor's Degree...


Since work is scarce and I have a summer commitment that prevents me from getting temporary work, I am in a state of "limbo" so to speak. Caught between two of life's many phases. Many of you are probably very accustomed to being asked, "So what are you up to these days?" Well when you're in limbo, this question becomes difficult or slightly embarrassing to answer. I find myself telling people what I was up to and what I hope to be up to in the near future, skipping over what I'm (not) up to these days. This seems to satisfy most people. There is the exception, of course, of the friend that keeps asking, "Seriously though, what do you do?" until you finally have to say, "Nothing! Ok? I do nothing. I have a Bachelor's Degree so please respect that."

Yes, I'm living every 15 year-old's dream. I guess you got what you always wanted, didn't you, 15 year-old Shaun? Zero responsibility and an Xbox 360 in your room. (These are the kinds of things I say to a picture of my 15 year-old self as I ponder my life.)

But it's really fine. I do not wish to give the impression that I'm unhappy. I am simply waiting for the wheels to start turning again.

Why am I telling you this? Well first of all, this is my blog so I can tell you whatever I want if you choose to read it. But I suppose my point is that if there has ever been a time when I've had time to type out the random thoughts that run through my mind and post them online, it's now. So I'm gonna do that...

2 comments:

  1. Oh limbo stages, I can definitely relate! I think artists experience a lot of limbo in their life because work is either a feast or famine! What did you get your degree in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being unemployed or underemployed is much more common these days, and should not be something to be embarrassed about. When people asked what I was doing and I said "looking for a job", it was no big deal. However, it was when they asked, "so what do you want to do?" that this started to become a little more difficult. I'm 31 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. It used to be exciting wondering what I would be doing in 5 years. Now it's a little scary not knowing. Anyways, good luck in your endeavors. And let me know if you find anything I might enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete